by Cara Sue Achterberg
on Tour June 1 – July 31, 2017
Genre: Women’s Fiction
Published by: The Story Plant
Publication Date: June 6th 2017
Number of Pages: 336
ISBN: 1611882443 (ISBN13: 9781611882445)
The houses in Pine Estates are beautiful McMansions filled with high-achieving parents, children on the fast track to top colleges, all of the comforts of modern living, and the best security systems money can buy. Welcome to normal upper-middle-class suburbia.
The Turners know in their hearts that they’re anything but normal. Jenna is a high-schooler dressed in black who is fascinated with breaking into her neighbors’ homes, security systems be damned. Everett genuinely believes he loves his wife . . . he just loves having a continuing stream of mistresses more. JT is a genius kid with Asperger’s who moves from one obsession to the next. And Kate tries to manage her family, manage her mother (who lives down the street), and avoid wondering why her life is passing her by.
And now everything is changing for them. Jenna suddenly finds herself in a boy-next-door romance she never could have predicted. Everett’s secrets are beginning to unravel on him. JT is getting his first taste of success at navigating the world. And Kate is facing truths about her husband, her mother, and her father that she might have preferred not to face.
Life on Pine Road has never been more challenging for the Turners. That’s what happens when you’re practicing normal.
Combining her trademark combination of wit, insight, and tremendous empathy for her characters, Cara Sue Achterberg has written a novel that is at once familiar and startlingly fresh.
“Does facing the truth beat living a lie? In PRACTICING NORMAL, Cara Sue Achterberg has given us a smart story that is both a window and a mirror, about the extraordinary pain ― and the occasional gifts ― of an ordinary life.”
– Jacquelyn Mitchard, New York Times bestselling author of THE DEEP END OF THE OCEAN
“What does it really mean to have a normal life? Achterberg’s stunning new novel explores how a family can fracture just trying to survive, and how what makes us different is also what can make us most divine.”
– Caroline Leavitt, author of CRUEL BEAUTIFUL WORLD and the New York Times bestsellers PICTURES OF YOU and IS THIS TOMORROW
“PRACTICING NORMAL takes a deep dive into the dysfunctional dynamics of a ‘picture perfect family.’ A compelling story about the beautiful humanity in the most ordinary of lives: from first love to a marriage on the downward slide to an unexpected family tragedy. Achterberg handles each thread with tender care and we can’t help but root for every member of the Turner family.”
– Kate Moretti, New York Times bestselling author of THE VANISHING YEAR
Book Formats: Print, Netgalley
Hosting Options: Review, Interview, Guest Post
Giveaway: There will be a PBP Rafflecopter Giveaway and individual host giveaways.
More: According to the The Story Plant Practicing Normal by Cara Sue Achterberg does not include: Excessive Strong Language, Graphic Violence, Explicit Sexual Scenes, Rape, or other trigger situations. PBP staff has not read this book, however and cannot give additional information.
Read an excerpt:
Cara Sue Achterberg is a writer and blogger who lives in New Freedom, PA with her family and an embarrassing number of animals. Her first novel, I’m Not Her, was a national bestseller, as was her second, Girls’ Weekend. Cara’s nonfiction book, Live Intentionally, is a guide to the organic life filled with ideas, recipes, and inspiration for liv- ing a more intentional life. Cara is a prolific blogger, occasional cowgirl, and busy mom whose essays and articles have been published in numerous anthologies, magazines, and websites. Links to her blogs, news about upcoming publications, and pictures of her foster dogs can be found at CaraWrites.com.
Tour Host Participants:
Stop by these awesome hosts for reviews, guest posts, interviews, & more giveaways!
1. 6/01 Guest post @ The Book Divas Reads
2. 6/06 Review @ Rockin Book Reviews
3. 6/07 Guest post @ A Bookaholic Swede
4. 6/08 Showcase @ The Bookworm Lodge
5. 6/12 Review @ Book Babble
6. 6/13 Review @ Wall-to-wall books
7. 6/14 Blog Talk Radio w/Fran Lewis
8. 6/14 Review @ Just Reviews
9. 6/16 Review @ Books Direct
10. 6/18 Showcase @ Mythical Books
11. 6/19 Review @ CMash Reads
12. 6/20 Interview @ CMash Reads
13. 6/26 Review @ Deco My Heart
14. 6/27 Guest post @ Hott Books
15. 6/28 Review @ The World As I See It
16. 6/30 Review @ Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers
17. 7/01 Review @ Cafinated Reads
18. 7/03 Interview @ BooksChatter
19. 7/04 Interview @ Writers and Authors
20. 7/26 Review @ Reading in White Bear Lake
21. 7/28 Review @ BookLove
22. 7/29 Interview @ BookLove
23. 7/30 Review @ Celticladys Reviews
24. 7/31 Review @ Jersey Girl Book Reviews
You’ve missed your opportunity to review for this tour. Check out the links above to purchase a copy.